Common Myths and Misconceptions about the Transmission of HIV
1) I can get HIV by being around other people who are HIV positive.
2) I don’t need to worry about contracting HIV, new medication will keep me well.
3) I can get HIV from mosquitoes.
4) I have been infected with HIV, my life is over.
5) AIDS is the new holocaust.
6) If I am receiving treatment then I cannot spread the HIV virus.
7) I am a heterosexual and I do not use IV drugs, therefore I will not contract HIV.
8) My partner and I are both HIV positive; therefore there is no need to practice safe sex.
9) I would be able to tell if my partner was HIV positive.
10) You can’t get HIV through oral sex.
11) HIV can be cured by having sex with a virgin.
12) HIV is the same thing as AIDS.
*For more information about common myths and facts please visit: